I Need Assistance (GenEq)

Below are quick links for those who may need assistance on specific topics. If you need additional assistance, please contact Joanna Villegas (they/them) by phone at (510) 230-3254 or by email at joannavillegas@berkeley.edu.  While GenEq doesn't provide counseling, we can provide advising to support you with finding the resources, community and the information you are seeking.  

You may also consider connecting with a counselor at University Health Services (The Tang Center) - students contact Counseling and Psychological Services and staff/faculty contact Employee Assistance.

Coming Out as LGBTQ+

If you're looking for support because you would like to come out, have recently come out, or think you might be LGBTQ+, read through our coming out resources to see if you can find what you're looking for.  If you don't find what you need, contact one of our staff people!

Gender Transition

Take a look at GenEq's transgender resources, which cover information from student and staff groups to changing your name on your school ID.  If you don't find what you need, contact one of our staff people!

Intimate Partner Violence, Sexual Harassment, Sexual Violence, & Stalking

This includes sexual assault, stalking, dating violence and domestic violence.  If you are in immediate danger, please call 911 immediately.  For help, resources and support from our Confidential CARE Advocates, please call the CARE Line 510-643-2005 and please check out Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment Resource Hub.  GenEq offers educational and community empowerment resources like Our Monologues and Take Back the Night.

Report a Hate Crime

You can report a hate crime or bias-driven incident through our UC Berkeley reporting form, or the University of California systemwide form. Find out more information about what consititues a hate crime, and more at the Centers for Educational Justice and Community Engagement's hate crimes resources portal.

Can I get support for my student group?

If you are interested in starting a student group and would like our support, then please stop by our offices or visit the LEAD Center's website to find out about how to start a group of your own. Registering enables groups to reserve campus facilities for group meetings and apply for funding from campus sources.

GenEq sponsors a number of student initiated groups, but registration is not required for GenEq sponsorship; informal groups may also seek assistance through GenEq. Our office often collaborates with numerous student groups on various projects throughout the year.